Sunday, September 26, 2010

Part III: The Battle of Bosworth Field, Richard III

Long before this great battle
A war had already been started
Between two houses of royal England
The Yorks and Lancastrians.

It all began when Henry Bolingbroke,
Angry with Richard's political ways
Did what he thought was just
And deposed of King Richard II.

After many years of fighting
Over to whom the throne rightly belonged,
There came a day, a turning point
In the Wars of the Roses. [1]

August 22, 1485,
A day that changed history.
On this day the Lancastrian and Yorkist blood was shed
At the Battle of Bosworth Field.

I, the noble King Richard came to fight,
With my army of 10,000 men,
Sir Tudor and his lads as well,
Of only 5,000 strong. [2]

I being experienced and wise,
Came to the battle with a plan.
I took to the hilltop with my men,
So that I could see all the land.

Henry Tudor on the other hand
Was new to this game.
He was vastly outnumbered
And his army was quite amateur. [3]

Henry's army made the first move
Advancing toward the hill
Upon which my huge army stood
Looking down, casually at that teeny army.

But to my surprise they put up a great fight.
Each side fought viciously,
Wanting to win with all their might.
We stabbed and sliced, with delight. [4]

In mid fight
I did fall
Never giving up
And fighting valiantly until the end.

Henry Tudor and his army prevailed;
Winning the battle
Taking the throne and
Changing the course of history.

But even then,
My Yorks did fight hard.
Always staying true and loyal
To me, their fallen king. [5]

I did my best
To remain as King of England,
But in the end my efforts were not enough.
I lost my precious title and even more, my life.


[1] Region, By. "Book 1, Ch. 7 - Henry VII and Henry VIII | British History Online." British History Online. Web. 26 Sept. 2010. <http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=46724&strquery=Battle of Bosworth#s2>.

[2] "Richard III Society- Bosworth Sources, Foreign." Richard III Society - American Branch. Web. 26 Sept. 2010. <http://www.r3.org/bosworth/chron3.html>

[3] "Richard III Society- The Ballad of Bosworth Field." Richard III Society - American Branch. Web. 26 Sept. 2010. <http://www.r3.org/bosworth/ballad.html>

[4] "The Battle of Bosworth." The Wars of the Roses. Web. 26 Sept. 2010. <http://www.wars-of-the-roses.com/content/battles/bosworth_field.htm>.
.
[5] "Richard III Society-Bosworth, Independent English Reporters." Richard III Society - American Branch. Web. 26 Sept. 2010. <http://www.r3.org/bosworth/chron2.html>.

No comments:

Post a Comment